Saturday, November 22, 2014

Melbourne CBD: Crazy Wings

Yeap. Spent a few days in Melbourne last week, and it was SO good! The place was amazing, and every restaurant just seemed so much more appealing than Sydney's.

Crazy Wings wasn't the first we hit up, however, it was one that made me cry.

Sourced from here >

My girlfriend suggested this place, because of their "crazy wings" challenge. I love spicy food, so sure, np. Off we went as 4 to Crazy Wings!

Yeap, Chinese restaurant. The place is quite small, nothing too fancy. Just your average-lookin' Chinese restaurant. It was kinda messy though. I walked into the restaurants and there were two tables uncleaned. There were other tables to fit 2, so we sat down and waited for the table to be cleaned before menus were handed to us.


The customer service was lovely though. Or maybe I just have a good vibe from the cute Chinese guy who served us. Hahahhahahaa. No, but really! We had a few questions, and he happily answered for us.

My most memorable line from him was, "all of these food are on skewers, so we have chicken, lamb [....] except the fried rice". Hahahaha! ◑.◑

He was also really playful. As I took pics of my food, he decided interrupt my pic with the silly V-sign! So cuuuuuuuuute?! OK. Let's get back to rating the food, before I go off rating him. Haha.


As you can see, all skewers are pretty cheap. Ranges from $1.50~$3. We ordered a bunch of skewers, and a bowl of Yangzhou Style Fried Rice ($8.80) to go hand-in-hand with the skewers.

The Yangzhou Style Fried Rice was poo though. I don't recommend it at all.


The serving size was not bad, shared comfortably between us four. But it was pretty much something I could cook at home. Peas, carrots, corn, shrimps and super oily rice together is not Yangzhou-styled fried rice, I don't think? Because if it is, then Yangzhou-styled fried rice is pretty shit. lol. 

Either way, overly-salty... not nice.

NOW! The skewers!!!! Hmph! We ordered quite a few skewers. About $40 worth of skewers!


There's really no point for me to take photos of each individual skewer. They are just presented on quick and easy-to-eat sticks. Nothing fancy, you wouldn't be able to differentiate them anyways!

Here's a quick round-up though:

  • Honey spicy -- Tastes yum, but not spicy. 
  • Beef -- Strong spiced taste, a bit like curry. Nice and tender, but a tad oily.
  • Garlic -- Basic garlic taste, very flavoured. Very simple.
  • Chicken skin -- VERY fatty, but nicely spiced. I'm a bit fearful of its fat, just too much for me. Won't finish this myself, but worth a taste. 
  • Ox tongue -- Disappointing. The top pieces were drying, but got better towards the middle. Not as tender as I'd like it though. 
  • Chicken spicy -- Spicier than Honey Spicy, but bearable. A bit salty though. 
  • Original -- Basic with little spice. No point ordering unless you eat this first since flavours and spices of previous skewers will be lingering in your mouth..
  • BBQ Enoki Mushroom -- I personally don't like mushroom, so I didn't like this. My friends thought they were nice though!
  • Lamb meat -- Yum!

Besids that, we also ordered their... Crazy Wings ($2.50)! Two skewers, since only myself and another could take on spicy.


Urgh. This was mouth-burning. I teared out small strips to eat slowly, and it was ridiculously spicy. I didn't finish the the skewer, not even a wing. The cute waiter told us that "these crazy wings come with a jug of water too" and handed us a jug. Haha. 

I can see why though. They ARE spicy, but they're not nice. Urgh. They just tasted like... full of sprinkled spices, as you can see from the photos. I was expecting them to be soaked-in chilli (eehm, how to explain?), but it felt like they just rolled these wings in spices. DO YOU GET ME????

You can put these on par with Memphis Wing's "Ass Burner" level of spice doe. 


RANDOM THOUGHT: The toilets of this place is ridic-funny though. They are located upstairs (a fair walk), so as you walk upstairs... you'll see signs that keeps pointing you to the toilets.. Well. As they point, the last sign will say "Toilet?". LOL! It's like... I've been following this sign to find the toilets (like a hunting some sort of treasure) and now the last sign has a question-mark after it?! Or are you asking me where the toilet is?!


Overall, nice and nifty concept, cheap menu, lovely customer service, cute waiter, but the food is only OK.  


Crazy Wings
177 Russell St, Melbourne VIC 2177
Ph. (03) 9663 6555


On my list to try [next time]: Papaya Milk, Pear Juice and more drinks. Same-same skewers.








Cute waiter's rating (hehe): 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show Emoticons